Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Want to grow in your faith? Try serving!

Many years ago I was at a crossroad in my life, trying to figure out where I really fit in at church. I had been involved in our Wednesday night children’s program for years and then transitioned to teaching an adult class on Sunday mornings. After doing that for a while, I took a break from ministry. Life was busy, the kids were growing up, my husband was very involved in Sunday ministry, I was working a fulltime job and it was hard for me to keep up with everything.

As time went by, though, I found myself more and more “lost” in our church. I didn’t feel connected and I had plateaued spiritually. My wise and loving husband sat me down and pointed out to me that I had started feeling this way after I had stepped out of ministry. He reminded me that God had wired me to serve Him and others and when I wasn’t doing that, I was bound to feel lost, unenergized and spiritually empty. He was right.

Last week I received a “farewell” e-mail from Leisel, one of our sixth grade small group leaders. Liesel volunteered to help with our sixth grade girls this summer and she also went so summer camp as a cabin leader. After a brief year in Lawrence, she is now heading back to Alaska for college.

Her e-mail reiterates what my husband told me years ago. With her permission I’m including it.
I've really enjoyed working with the 6th graders and the rest of the SS teachers! Thanks so much for letting me. I've already found my faith being more solid since I've worked with the girls and helped at camp! I once saw a quote in one of my ed classes that said "to teach is to learn twice" and it's true! I've learned more about God and myself and my relationship with God since the beginning of the summer, it's incredible!
I’m grateful to God that Liesel is heading back to college with a renewed interest in pursuing God and with joy in her heart. I love it that God changes our hearts as we serve others! How cool is that!

No comments: